There are lots of ways you can make your business “family friendly.” And it doesn’t have to cost a lot. The returns it pays off to employee satisfaction and our community’s future workforce are manifold.
Here are just a few ideas:
- Assist your employees in finding high quality daycare by telling them about the Virginia Star Quality Initiative.
- Be open to the possibility of flexible work schedules for your employees.
- Adoption assistance enables employers to pay adoption-related expenses and give employees time off when a child is adopted.
- On-site or near-site day care facilities boosts employee morale and productivity.
- A consortium child care center helps small businesses offer a major benefit to employees by pooling costs among the participating companies.
- Back-up emergency care and temporary care can be offered to employees whose needs may have changed suddenly.
- Flexible spending accounts provide a way to pay medical or dependent elder or childcare expenses that could result in significant tax savings. Employees contribute a portion of their salaries before taxes each pay period so that when medical and/or dependent care expenses are incurred, employees are able to reimburse themselves for the eligible expenses.
- School unpaid leave grants provide unpaid time off to employees who are the parents or guardians of school-age children, so they may attend or participate in school-sponsored activities.
- Provide an on-site resource center.
- Tell your employees about Smart Beginnings Rappahannock Area!